On Monday morning, Apple released iOS 11.1 to the public with a number of new features, improvements and bug fixes.
iOS 11.1 is the first major update to iOS 11 since its initial release in September. Even after three minor updates to iOS 11, many users have continued to complain of countless bugs and glitches plaguing everyday use. On my iPhone 8, iOS 11.1 feels noticeably faster than iOS 11.0.3. iOS 11.1 is not perfect, but its a healthy step forward.
All of the new features in iOS 11.1 are posted below, but one that didn’t make it is Apple Pay Cash. Apple has promised that Apple Pay Cash will be coming sometime this Fall, but at this point it is likely that the feature will be included in iOS 11.2.
- 69 new emojis
- The QuickType keyboard now suggests multiple emojis for certain words/phrases
- 3D Touch multitasking gesture has returned
- New scroll-to-top animation
iOS 11.1 introduces over 70 new emoji and includes bug fixes and improvements.
- Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
- Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
- Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
- Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
- Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
- Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
- Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
- Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
- Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
- Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
- Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
- Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
- Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222